Monday, July 8, 2013

Double Digits

Slow and steady crosses the finish line!
Saturday was a BIG day!

Big as in BIG!

I ran my farthest distance yet: 10 miles! It wasn't an easy task, but it felt pretty great!

Starting Thursday, I'd been feeling a little scratch in my throat and knew that with Duane being sick all last week, it was only a matter of time before the head cold hit me. I just prayed that it would hold off until AFTER Saturday's run, and it did. Of course, it hit me like a freight train as soon as I got home, but that's a-okay. I got through the run!

This run was the first time I've tried refueling while running. There are many different forms of fuel you can take while running. GU (pronounced 'goo' - to match its consistency) doesn't really seem appetizing to me. There are many MANY brands of energy chews you can eat during your long runs, and I chose to try Strawberry Shot Bloks.

My review?                     A+

Not only were they delicious, but they were easy to consume while running. They're like gummy bears mixed with Jello Jigglers. Not too chewy. I had one chew every 1.5 miles, so the 6-pack was perfect for a 10-mile run. After the run, I tried a bite of Gatorade's version to compare and wasn't as pleased. They have a bit of a 'grit' to them and are SUPER chewy. I don't want to be wrestling energy chews with my tongue to clear my teeth while I'm running. I have more important things to worry about - like breathing!

Saturday's 10-miler was the first long training run that I ran with my best friend, Stephanie. She was a rockstar and I'm so proud of her. She was originally signed up to run the International Half Marathon in Detroit this year, but is switching to the Full. And after having a challenging, but successful 10-mile run together, she has officially signed up to run the Rock 'N' Roll Half Marathon in Chicago with me on July 21st - just two weeks away! It is going to be amazing crossing my first Half finish line with my BFF.

I've been working on new Cards for a Cause and will have a few to post soon. Thank you so much for your interest and support! I was hoping to work all weekend on new cards, but the head cold has had me down for the count. I'm starting to feel better today and plan on working on them over the next few days.

I've been taking it easy and resting A LOT since Saturday, so I missed today's 3-mile training run. But I know that I need to listen to my body. Suffering through 3 miles today wouldn't help me get healthier. I think I'll feel good enough tomorrow to meet up with Stephanie for our weekly Tuesday run - 5 miles are on the schedule!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your encouragement! Your support and prayers will help me to reach my goal of 26.2 miles!